Recipe Weds: Broccoli and Shrimp Salad with Ginger Peanut Dressing
Do you need a great salad to take to a picnic this summer? I love bringing healthy salads to parties (and love it when people bring them to mine). This broccoli and shrimp salad with ginger peanut dressing is perfect when you want something light, but also filling enough to be your meal. The ginger peanut dressing is made with lemon juice and vinegar, so you have no fear of mayonnaise going funky.
Of course, this isn’t just for parties. This makes a great summer meal when you just don’t feel like cooking. If it’s really too hot to even turn on the stove, buy pre-steamed shrimp rather than cooking them yourself. I get mine from the fishmonger at Whole Foods or other high-end grocery stores (not the freezer section, although I buy frozen raw shrimp).
Recipe: Broccoli and Shrimp Salad with Ginger Peanut Dressing
Summary: a refreshing and light meal for the dog days of summer.
- 1/2 pound large, wild gulf shrimp
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 small sweet onion
- 2 radishes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs soy sauce or Bragg’s Amino Acids
- 1 lemon juice
- 2 Tbs peanuts, chopped finely
- 1 Tbs minced fresh ginger root
- 1/2 tsp brown mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- salt &ground black pepper to taste
- Thaw the shrimp (if frozen). Fill a stock pot with about 1 inch of water and bring it to a boil. Insert a steamer (see below) and add the shrimp in their shells. Steam until cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Let the shrimp cool, then peel, devein (if needed), and chop into quarters. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the broccoli into bite size chunks and add to the shrimp.
- Slice the red pepper into thin strips. Cut each strip into 1-inch long slices. Add to the bowl.
- Slice the onion into 1-inch long strips and add to the bowl.
- Thinly slice the radish and add to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, mustard, honey and pepper. Once these are thoroughly combined, whisk in the olive oil. When all of the oil is incorporated into the dressing, add the peanuts.
- Toss about half of the dressing into the broccoli salad and reserve the remainder (serve it on the side for those who would like more dressing).
- Chill until serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 7 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
One Response to Recipe Weds: Broccoli and Shrimp Salad with Ginger Peanut Dressing
Leave a Reply
My expertise is helping you find the dietary plan that works for you then helping you learn to shop, cook and eat in a way that helps you be healthy.
I will teach you to listen to your real needs and honor, trust, and respect your body. The result with be a total health transformation. All it takes is a little bit of guts.