I don’t know about you, but in the Spring, I start craving fish…something I don’t usually want in the winter. I also want light foods; things that won’t weigh me down (especially after St. Patty’s day…ooph). This recipe for cod with saffron rice is a simple dinner you can make ahead of time and even freeze for quick work lunches if you want.
You can use any white fish you want in it. I use cod because I can get pieces of wild cod for a very good price (they’re just the little extra bits of the side that taste just fine, but aren’t all that pretty). In fact, I’m a big fan of buying high quality foods that have been rejected for their looks…they taste fine and are usually a fraction of the price. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder! And this cod with saffron rice recipe is a beauty.
Recipe: Cod with Saffron Rice
Summary: a mild flavor and light meal…perfect for early Spring
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 6 saffron threads (or 1/2 tsp Tumeric if you don’t have saffron)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp coriander
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or fish stock
- 1 lb cod pieces
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 5 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs fresh cilantro, chopped (or 1 Tbs dried)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the rice, onion, and jalapeno. Cook over a medium heat, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the saffron (or Tumeric) and coriander and cook another minute.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, and cover. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more stock if needed (you don’t want the rice to dry out).
- Cut the fish into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil, add the broccoli and cook for about 5 minutes—you want it tender, but still vibrant green. Drain and keep warm.
- After the rice has cooked 15 minutes, add the fish and cook an additional five minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and broccoli to the rice and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add the scallions, salt, pepper, and cilantro and cook about 2 more minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4