We harvested our first few carrots of the season today. They are so cute! Knowing that there are many more carrots to come over the next few weeks, I started thinking about what to do with them. I didn’t have to think hard: ginger carrot soup = heaven. The beauty of this extremely healthy soup is that you can eat it hot or cold, depending on your mood or the time of year. I usually eat it cold in the summer, hot in the winter. It freezes nicely too, so you might as well make a bunch of it and have it on hand for quick, satisfying meals.
The picture here isn’t from this year’s first harvest. I made that batch back in the fall. I first posted this recipe on my food blog, Backyard Grocery. But it’s worth repeating here!
Recipe: Carrot Ginger Soup
Summary: Light and refreshing, a wonderful recipe for leftover carrots.
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbs crushed ginger (add more to taste)
- 9 medium carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 Tbs agave or maple syrup
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cream (or soy milk for vegan)
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil, onion, ginger and garlic in soup pan. Saute until the onions soften, about a minute or two.
- Add the remaining broth, agave/maple syrup, pepper, and carrots.
- Bring to a simmer. Heat until carrots are soft and will break with a fork.
- Remove pan from heat and let it cool for a few minutes (you don’t want to put hot liquid in the blender lest the blender cap explode on you).
- In batches of about 1 cup each, blend the soup to a thin, creamy puree.
- Once all the soup is blended, return to the soup pan, add the cream/soy milk, and simmer until it is ready to be served.
I actually prefer this soup cold. If you plan to serve it cold, let it simmer for a few minutes after adding the cream/soy milk. Turn off the heat and let it cool on the stove top, then store in the refrigerator.
Preparation time: 6 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 4
Copyright © Susan Rose.