Today could have been a very grumpy day. After all, Spring is supposed to be right around the corner, but it’s snowing here in Virginia. Not good! (Beautiful, but not the Spring weather I want). I needed to do something to cheer myself up, and that something ended up being to make a delicious, and very healthy vegetable soup.
Making a healthy vegetable soup is one of the easiest things you can do. Like with stirfrys, it’s an easy way to clean out your refrigerator and end up with a delicious and healthy meal. I got the basic recipe from Mark Bittman’s Food Matters Cookbook (which is a GREAT cookbook if you don’t already have it). I mixed and matched from the ingredients he suggested, and the result was outstanding. Even my “I don’t like vegetables” husband at the entire, huge bowl (then denied liking it when I commented that I’d finally found a way to get him to eat his veggies).
Not only is a soup like this easy and healthy, you can make it in advance and have lunches for a week. Or freeze single portions for emergency meals. It’s really versatile. And did I mention easy?
Recipe: Healthy vegetable soup
Summary: easy, versatile, hearty and delicious
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped in ¼ slices
- 1 large (or a few small) turnip, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- 5 scallions, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup green beans (fresh or frozen), cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup of sliced cabbage
- 1 cup of chicory leave, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 pint of tomatoes, fresh or canned, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped basil, fresh or frozen
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Add the carrots, turnip, and scallions. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until veggies are tender, about 10 minutes. Let them brown a little, but not burn (so stir them often).
- Add the zucchini, green beans, cabbage, and chicory and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 15 minutes, until the tomatoes start breaking down.
- Add the basil and cook for another 15 minutes.
Make this vegetarian/vegan by using vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6