I love raw desserts because they are lower in sugar, and usually high in protein. They fill me up in a way that “normal” sweets just don’t. So I’ve been experimenting with them lately. A few weeks ago I made some pumpkin puree, and thought a raw pumpkin pie would be great for Thanksgiving. I found this raw pumpkin pie recipe over at the Rawtarian. I made a few modifications, most notably using cooked pumpkin instead of raw. So really, this is a raw-ish pumpkin pie. I also made a chocolate crust just because I love chocolate and pumpkin.
If you’re looking for a healthy pie alternative for Thanksgiving, this is great. It really, truly tastes like pumpkin pie!
Recipe: Raw pumpkin pie recipe
Summary: This tastes exactly like pumpkin pie!
- Pecan chocolate crust:
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 3-4 dates (or 2-3 tbsp maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup cacao powder (cocoa powder)
- pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pumpkin pie filling:
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 cup chopped pumpkin
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- For the crust: place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until combined into a crumbly crust.
- Put paper liners in a cupcake pan. Divide the crust into 12 balls and place in cupcake pan. Press down with your fingers to firmly place the crust into pan.
- Set aside as you make the filling.
- Pumpkin filling: Throw all pumpkin pie filling ingredients into the food processor and pulse until silky smooth!
- Pour pumpkin pie filling into the cupcake pan on top of crust.
- Place in freezer and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Store in the freezer. Let the pies thaw for about 20 minutes before eating.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Number of servings (yield): 12