The heat here in the DC area has been so intense this summer. It is hard to work up the enthusiasm to cook in this kind of weather! But if you can do the cooking early in the morning or later at night when it’s cooler, life is much more pleasant. Enter entree salads. Prepare them ahead of time and relax to a cool and refreshing dinner after a hot day.
This variation is my wild rice, kale, and summer squash salad. It’s hardy, but the light dressing keeps it from being to heavy. Even my husband who generally refuses to eat kale enjoyed this.
Recipe: Wild Rice, Kale, and Summer Squash Salad
Summary: a hardy yet refreshing cold salad for hot nights.
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups kale, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup summer squash, cubed into half inch pieces
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup herb infused olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the rice, kale, squash, and green pepper together in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper together.
- Pour the dressing over the rice mixture and stir well. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.
if you don’t have an herb infused olive oil, add some herbs of your choice. Basil and rosemary would be nice, or perhaps some oregano.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s) for the rice
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6